Assertiveness is one of the essential skills in the modern working environment. There are many benefits of being assertive such as; better time management, increased ability to manage staff and customers; increased self esteem and the ability to negotiate more effectively.
This course is ideal for delegates who need to improve and enhance their communications skills in order to achieve greater personal and professional productivity. It allows delegates to develop confidence and self-esteem so that their opinions will no longer go un-noticed in the workplace.
Assertiveness training will provide delegates with effective tactics to build courage and manage difficult, demanding and aggressive behaviours.
The course will show delegates:
- How to recognise assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
- The key characteristics of an assertive person
- The 5 easy ways to become assertive
- What to say in difficult situations and with difficult people
- How excellent communication skills keep you in control
- How to develop a consistency of approach when dealing with potential conflict
- Techniques for handling clients and colleagues in a friendly and professional manner
- How to project a positive, tactful and assertive approach when handling difficult people
- Effective strategies how to reflect and refocus when under pressure
In developing the course content we place emphasis on empowering people to become more productive in their personal communication strategies.
Assertiveness Course Agenda
- Introduction/course aims and objectives
- Recognising assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
Delegates will able to recognise passive, aggressive and assertive characteristics, communication and body language. We will also examine how assertive behaviours affect the actions and reactions of others.
- Managing internal dialogue
Delegates will examine how they are able to manage their internal dialogues to enable them to develop self-confidence when faced with difficult situations. Becoming adept at establishing sound inner dialogue will help you if you feel intimidated by the customers or colleagues; when you have to make an immediate statement or response; or if you have an ongoing problem to resolve
- Effective communication skills
Delegates will learn how to master the elements of verbal, vocal and visual communication and how to use them to enable you to assertively persuade, influence and control others. We will examine visual and vocal images and how they impact communication.
- Questionnaire-Assertiveness style analysis
Each delegate will discover their ‘reactive behavioural style’ and how that can lead to rapport or conflict with other styles. Understanding the personality of others allows us to be able to present our message to them in order to achieve our objectives
- Becoming more self-confident
Delegates will learn strategies that will increase their self-confidence and enable them to handle situations or people that they may fear or feel intimidated by. Delegates will also learn tips and techniques for assertive delivery; What to say and how to respond to typical situations.
- Becoming more assertive
How to react when under pressure and how to plan for an assertive encounter with a difficult person. Plus, we’ll be getting delegates to recognise when they should be more assertive at work and in their private lives.
- Maintaining control in meetings
Delegates will learn strategies which will enable them to pre-empt conflict within a meeting; quickly assess the situation; verbalise it without confrontation; and manage the meeting effectively.
- Handling conflict
Dealing with assertive, angry and talkative people requires different strategies and techniques. Delegates will learn how to handle difficult situations and maintain control in a calm and professional manner.
- Handling objections and rejection
The ability to deal with objections and opposing views is an essential skill to master. We will focus on how delegates can control communications so that they are able to deal with all objections calmly and confidently. We will cover; understanding the types of objection; dealing with objections effectively and keeping control.
- Role-play and critique
- Action plans
- Course paperwork
- Questions and answers
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Trainer-led facilitation
- Role-playing typical situations (using video or audio feedback, if applicable)
- Group work
- Workbook exercises and activities
- Video scenarios with discussion.
All delegates will receive a workbook that doubles as an excellent post course reference manual.
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.
Other related courses include mediation skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Coaching for Managers training course newsletter – Giving effective feedback
- Leadership Training Newsletter – Making the best of your job
- How to set goals and achieve them using tactics
- Assertiveness Skills training courses Assertiveness Skills Rules of Assertiveness
- Handling Very Difficult Customers – Training course and newsletter information
- Assertiveness Skills training courses: Assertion Self Analaysis
- Assertiveness Skills and Managing Conflict: Simple Assertiveness Techniques
- Neuro Linguistic Programming
- Time Management Training Courses, Training Newsletter – Managing Meetings
- Assertiveness Skills training courses: Assertion self-analysis test2
- Assertiveness Training Course: Simple Assertiveness Techniques
- Assertiveness Training Course: Assertiveness Links
- Assertiveness Training Course: Our top tips to becoming assertive