Our dealing with difficult people courses are one of our popular courses as it effectively demonstrates how to neutralise problem situations in the workplace. It covers a wide range of scenarios that occur in the workplace such as; working with aggressive people, disagreeing with others, handling bullies at work, dealing with ignorant people at work and working with unreasonable people. This course will cover mediation and will show delegates how valuable managing and mediating conflict is when managing or handling difficult staff/employee(s). The dealing with difficult people at work course also provides useful information for working with a difficult boss/manager and guidance on how to deal with bullying in the workplace
Dealing with difficult people
This course is designed for staff that regularly manage external customers. The type of individual who thrives in this type of environment needs to be very customer focused; intuitive to customer needs and have the ability to think quickly in difficult situations. The focus is to instill an ethos of ‘looking after the needs of the customer whilst maintaining the objectives and core values and of the organisation.
The aims and objectives of the training will enable delegates to:
1. Have a good understanding of customer care issues
2. Develop a consistency of approach when dealing with potential difficult situations
3. Deal with customer queries in a friendly and professional manner
4. Project a positive, tactful and assertive approach when handling difficult people
In developing the course content we place emphasis on empowering staff that have a range of skills and experiences to develop greater quality in their work and increase productivity. Training delegates to a high standard of knowledge and skill includes the following subjects:
- Giving instructions and information in a calm, friendly and professional way
- Questioning skills to uncover both facts and needs
- Building instant rapport with customers
- Understanding and exceeding client expectations
- Understanding the difference between aggressive and assertive behaviour
- Understanding verbal signs of conflict
- How to give negative news in a positive way
- How to handle aggressive clients
- Proven steps for verbally disarming hostile people
- Managing your anger and staying calm in hostile situations
One-Day Course Agenda
- Creating a good first impression
Building rapport and showing a professional image in the first crucial first few seconds and minutes of each customer contact. Whether in Customer Service or Sales the ability to control the communication in the first few vital minutes of a conversation is crucial to the final result.
- Understanding assertive behaviour
Delegates will be able to recognise passive, aggressive and assertive communication and body language. We will also show how to reduce potential conflict by adopting assertive behaviours.
- Assertive negotiation
How assertiveness can help with negotiation situations. We will also demonstrate the skills needed for effective negotiations.
- Verbal conflict diffusion strategies
Calming strategies and what to say. Understanding and reacting to verbal attacks. Communicating with unresponsive individuals.
- Handling complaints
Handling complaining customers well is one of the most effective methods of building trust and creating a long-term relationship with your clients. Delegates will learn from proven methods of calming the situation, understanding the customer and giving them what they want without breaking company rules.
- Communication skills for difficult clients
Dealing with assertive, demanding and talkative customers requires different strategies and techniques. Delegates will learn how to handle difficult situations and maintain control in a calm and professional manner.
- Diffusing and calming strategies for hostile and emotional clients
Delegates will learn strategies that allow them to calmly handle the caller who is emotionally demanding, angry, worried and confused. Also, we will discuss techniques about how to manage hostile and aggressive clients.
- Positive under pressure
Maintaining a positive approach to customer contact is essential for service professionals. We will show ways of keeping a confident attitude and approach at all times.
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Trainer-led facilitation
- Role-playing typical situations (using video or audio feedback, if applicable)
- Group work
- Workbook exercises and activities
- Video scenarios with discussion.
All delegates will receive a workbook that doubles as an excellent post course reference manual.
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.
Other related courses include assertiveness skills, mediation skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Dealing with conflict and aggression
- Handling Very Difficult Customers – Training course and newsletter information
- Dealing with difficult people – the aggressive person
- Dealing with difficult people – the arrogant person
- Tips for dealing with Difficult People
- Dealing with difficult people at work
- How to deal with difficult people