This course is designed for staff that regularly manage external customers. The type of individual who thrives in this type of environment needs to be very customer focused; intuitive to customer needs and have the ability to think quickly in difficult situations. The focus is to instill an ethos of ‘looking after the needs of the customer whilst maintaining the objectives and core values and of the organisation.
Our dealing with difficult people courses are one of our popular courses as it effectively demonstrates how to neutralise problem situations in the workplace. It covers a wide range of scenarios that occur in the workplace such as; working with aggressive people, disagreeing with others, handling bullies at work, dealing with ignorant people at work and working with unreasonable people. This course will cover mediation and will show delegates how valuable managing and mediating conflict is when managing or handling difficult staff/employee(s). The dealing with difficult people at work course also provides useful information for working with a difficult boss/manager and guidance on how to deal with bullying in the workplace
Course Aims and Objectives
- Develop a consistency of approach when dealing with potential difficult situations
- Deal with customer queries in a friendly and professional manner
- Project a positive, tactful and assertive approach when handling difficult people
- All sessions are covered in a comprehensive Dealing with Difficult People course manual that doubles as a useful post-course reference for future development
In developing the course content we place emphasis on empowering staff that have a range of skills and experiences to develop greater quality in their work and increase productivity. The training will focus on the following:
- Develop a consistency of approach when dealing with queries and complaints
- Giving instructions and information in a calm, friendly and professional way
- Project a positive image with each customer
- Questioning skills to uncover both facts and needs
- Building instant rapport with customers
- Have a good understanding of customer care issues
- Understanding the difference between aggressive and assertive behaviour
- Understanding verbal signs of conflict
- How to give negative news in a positive way
- How to handle aggressive clients
- Proven steps for verbally disarming hostile people
- Managing your anger and staying calm in hostile situations
Pre/Post Course Support
Prior to conducting a course your training co-ordinator will have had the opportunity to liaise with one of our lead trainers who will begin to breakdown your companies objectives.
A key part of their process is understanding what led to your decision to improve your team.
We will incorporate all your current training materials to build in effective role plays and discussions suited specifically to your organisational needs.
Before each course delegates will have completed:
- The pre-course questionnaire (Including personal objectives for the session)
After the course each delegate will receive:
- A CPD Accredited Certificate
- A Comprehensive course manual
- Additional resources beneficial to your continued learning
Your organisation will receive:
- Constructive feedback on the delegates progression
- A roadmap for continued learning specifically to your needs
Proposed One-Day Course Agenda
This is a proposed agenda for the course.
Morning – 9.30-1.00 / Afternoon – 2.00-5.30
- Creating a good first impression
Building rapport and showing a professional image in the first crucial first few seconds and minutes of each customer contact. Whether in Customer Service or Sales the ability to control the communication in the first few vital minutes of a conversation is crucial to the final result.
- Understanding assertive behaviour
Delegates will be able to recognise passive, aggressive and assertive communication and body language. We will also show how to reduce potential conflict by adopting assertive behaviours.
- Assertive negotiation
How assertiveness can help with negotiation situations. We will also demonstrate the skills needed for effective negotiations.
- Verbal conflict diffusion strategies
Calming strategies and what to say. Understanding and reacting to verbal attacks. Communicating with unresponsive individuals.
- Handling complaints
Handling complaining customers well is one of the most effective methods of building trust and creating a long-term relationship with your clients. Delegates will learn from proven methods of calming the situation, understanding the customer and giving them what they want without breaking company rules.
- Communication skills for difficult clients
Dealing with assertive, demanding and talkative customers requires different strategies and techniques. Delegates will learn how to handle difficult situations and maintain control in a calm and professional manner.
- Diffusing and calming strategies for hostile and emotional clients
Delegates will learn strategies that allow them to calmly handle the caller who is emotionally demanding, angry, worried and confused. Also, we will discuss techniques about how to manage hostile and aggressive clients.
- Positive under pressure
Maintaining a positive approach to customer contact is essential for service professionals. We will show ways of keeping a confident attitude and approach at all times.
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Trainer-led facilitation
- Role-playing typical situations (using video or audio feedback, if applicable)
- Group work
- Workbook exercises and activities
- Video scenarios with discussion.
All delegates will receive a workbook that doubles as an excellent post course reference manual.
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.
Other related courses include assertiveness skills, mediation skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Dealing with conflict and aggression
- Handling Very Difficult Customers – Training course and newsletter information
- Dealing with difficult people – the aggressive person
- Dealing with difficult people – the arrogant person
- Tips for dealing with Difficult People
- Dealing with difficult people at work
- How to deal with difficult people