This course is designed for people that have regular contact with customers and colleagues alike. It covers the difficulties that arise when dealing with difficult people/situations and how to manage communication to achieve the ‘best result’. It is designed to give delegates many practical tips and techniques and help them get the best out of these difficult situations.
Course Aims and Objectives
- The programme is highly participative and experiential – participants conduct and review situations that require assertive behviour and may result in managing conflict.
- Assertiveness training will provide delegates with effective tactics to build courage and manage difficult, demanding and aggressive behaviours.
- All sessions are covered in a comprehensive Assertiveness and Managing Conflict course manual that doubles as a useful post-course reference for future development
Assertiveness training will provide delegates with effective tactics to build courage and manage difficult, demanding and aggressive behaviours. How to recognise assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours:
- The key characteristics of an assertive person
- The 5 easy ways to become assertive
- What to say in difficult situations and with difficult people
- How excellent communication skills keep you in control
- How to develop a consistency of approach when dealing with potential conflict
- Techniques for handling clients and colleagues in a friendly and professional manner
- How to project a positive, tactful and assertive approach when handling difficult people
- Effective strategies how to reflect and refocus when under pressure
Pre/Post Course Support
Prior to conducting a course your training co-ordinator will have had the opportunity to liaise with one of our lead trainers who will begin to breakdown your companies objectives.
A key part of their process is understanding what led to your decision to improve your team.
We will incorporate all your current training materials to build in effective role plays and discussions suited specifically to your organisational needs.
Before each course delegates will have completed:
- The pre-course questionnaire (Including personal objectives for the session)
After the course each delegate will receive:
- A CPD Accredited Certificate
- A Comprehensive course manual
- Additional resources beneficial to your continued learning
Your organisation will receive:
- Constructive feedback on the delegates progression
- A roadmap for continued learning specifically to your needs
Proposed One-Day Course Agenda
This is a proposed agenda for the course.
Morning – 9.30-1.00 / Afternoon – 2.00-5.30
Understanding assertive behaviour
Delegates will able to recognise passive, aggressive and assertive communication and body language. We will also show how to reduce potential conflict by adopting assertive behaviours.
Communication skills for difficult people
Dealing with assertive, angry and talkative people requires different strategies and techniques. Delegates will learn how to handle difficult situations and maintain control in a calm and professional manner.
Verbal conflict diffusion strategies
Calming strategies and what to say – Handling verbal attack patterns – Dealing with aggressive and hostile personalities – Communicating with unresponsive individuals.
The assertive leader
What are the crucial differences and distinctions between task and relationship behaviour needed to produce decisive assertive actions? We will show delegates how to maintain respect by examining the key factors of assertive leadership.
An introduction to Mediation
Mediation is the process of facilitating the communication between parties in conflict towards understanding, collaboration and agreement. It requires both skill and courage. We will teach the delegates how to plan for and implement a successful mediation strategy.
Recognising and reducing organisational conflict – conflict has many ways of showing itself ranging from anger/frustration to absenteeism to low morale. Group workshops will attempt to identify when conflict contributes to ‘real’ stress and what specific actions are required.
Helping others to manage conflict issues
From group discussion and role-play delegates will learn how to effectively counsel fellow employees to identify stress that arises from conflict and develop agreed solutions.
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Trainer-led facilitation
- Role-playing typical situations (using video or audio feedback, if applicable)
- Group work
- Workbook exercises and activities
- Video scenarios with discussion.
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.
Other related courses include mediation skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Coaching for Managers training course newsletter – Giving effective feedback
- Leadership Training Newsletter – Making the best of your job
- How to set goals and achieve them using tactics
- Assertiveness Skills training courses Assertiveness Skills Rules of Assertiveness
- Handling Very Difficult Customers – Training course and newsletter information
- Assertiveness Skills training courses: Assertion Self Analaysis
- Assertiveness Skills and Managing Conflict: Simple Assertiveness Techniques
- Neuro Linguistic Programming
- Time Management Training Courses, Training Newsletter – Managing Meetings
- Assertiveness Skills training courses: Assertion self-analysis test2
- Assertiveness Training Course: Simple Assertiveness Techniques
- Assertiveness Training Course: Assertiveness Links
- Assertiveness Training Course: Our top tips to becoming assertive