Managing difficult employees and problem people
People-problems, like people themselves, come in all sorts of shapes and sizes: some are trivial, minor irritations, while others are more substantial and seriously impair relationships or performance of a job to be done.
This 1 day course is ideal for managers who need better techniques to ‘handle problem people’ or ‘deal with difficult staff’. Its focus is to teach managers more effective ways of managing performance or attitude problems before they become serious and what to do if action is needed. It is packed with many practical tips and techniques and help managers manage all difficult situations confidently and competently.
Managers that will benefit from this course will be faced with some or all of the following problems
- Employees on unpleasant tasks?
- Employees that regularly miss work deadlines or submit work that needs to be redone?
- Employees who refuse to do assigned work or who tend to “pass the buck”
- Employees that continuously ignore rules and regulations
- Employee who have been late beyond minimum standards or absent beyond reasonable norms
- Employees who cause personality conflicts with other workers or frequently have a negative attitude
Managing Difficult Employees Course Agenda
Morning – 9.45-12.30
- Introduction/course aims and objectives
- The causes of conflict – how to recognise and pre-empt them
- The assertive leader – managing situations confidently
- Strategies for managing the difficult conversation – early interventions
- Analysing your conflict resolution profile and behavioural style
- Recognising classic profiles of difficult people and how to manage them
- Deciding when to take the most appropriate action
- Building a case to tackle the difficult employee through investigation and documention
- Role-play – ‘Managing the difficult conversation’
Afternoon – 1.00-3.30
- Managing inefficiency and poor performance issues
- Tackling attitude and behaviour issues confidently
- Communicating with unresponsive individuals
- Handling hostile and aggressive situations
- Role-play – ‘Dealing with the aggressive employee’
- Handling the reactions of the difficult conversation
- Confidently handling the disciplinary meeting
- Follow through and managing the relationship after the meeting
- Discussion and role-play – ‘Keeping the disruptive employee on track’
- Course close
How We Will Organise This Live Remote Course:
It couldn’t be easier as we take care of the whole process from start to finish.
- Pick from our list or discuss the course agenda to suit you
- Book the course and send us delegate’s email addresses
- We will send out the course materials including downloadable course manual, all of the course materials, a pre-course briefing form
- We will start log-ins 15 minutes prior to the course start to allow everyone to connect
- All delegates will complete the pre-prepared course activities that we will use during the course
- Our virtual courses are very interactive to keep delegate’s attention throughout
- All delegates will complete a Post-course action plan that can be reviewed their managers after the course.
Our Pre-Course Email To Your Delegates Include:
- A pre-course form that needs to be completed and sent back to us. It includes course objectives that we will run through with you during the Introduction.
- A course manual that can be downloaded for reference during the seminar
- A course agenda
- All pre-course exercises that need to be completed before the course (we’ll be using these on the day)
- A full set of the activities you’ll be doing on the course. These can be completed before the course, but this is not essential
- A link to our website with all the course materials to download (if delegates are having difficulty accessing the information contained on this email)
- A link to zoom.com with all the information needed to access the programme via your computer
- A post-course action plan and course evaluation form. This will be completed as proof of attending. A copy should also be sent to us.
- A link for the full set of templates and forms that can downloaded for use after the course
Why choose Total Success for your training?
- our lead trainers have over 18 years experience in training
- a maximum of 8 delegates means more time spent on individual needs
- we guarantee to run the course and will never cancel at the last moment
- free subscription to our monthly training newsletter
All open courses are trained in Central London
Each delegate receives a comprehensive training workbook that doubles as an open course manual. Courses run from 9.30-5.30 with lunch and refreshments provided.
Our training is carried out in a risk free environment which encourages delegates to practice the skills needed for successful appraisals. We use a number of training methods including role-play, video, audio, workshops and group exercises to enhance the learning process.
Other related courses include assertiveness skills, mediation skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
Total Success have developed a series of in-house training modules. These are designed so that an organisation can pick the training which is more applicable to its own needs and budget. Please call us to discuss your specific requirements.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Dealing with conflict and aggression
- Handling Very Difficult Customers – Training course and newsletter information
- Dealing with difficult people – the aggressive person
- Dealing with difficult people – the arrogant person
- Tips for dealing with Difficult People
- Dealing with difficult people at work
- How to deal with difficult people