This course is designed for managers that need the skills to manage effectively difficult mediations and to handle the behaviour of challenging colleagues.
The role of the mediator is to help parties reach a solution to their problem and to arrive at an outcome that both parties are happy to accept. Mediators avoid taking sides, making judgements or giving guidance. They are simply responsible for developing effective communications and building consensus between the parties. The focus of a mediation meeting is to reach a common sense settlement agreeable to both parties in a case.
For a mediator to be successful he or she must possess a wide range of skills. One of the most important, but perhaps least appreciated, is the ability to actively listen to what a party is saying and to note what the party is not saying. All too often we hear what we expect someone to say rather than what is actually said. It is a fundamental principle that mediators must not prejudge the case nor impose their own prejudices on the parties. Furthermore, a mediator has to be able to tune into “where the speaker is coming from” and read the “sub text” or hidden messages given out by the parties.
Course Aims and Objectives
- Gain an understanding of the issues that produce challenging behaviour and conflict
- Mediate conflict issues in a calm and professional manner
- Gain a full understanding of mediation and other forms of conflict resolution
- Use mediation to resolve workplace conflict
- Prepare effectively for a mediation
- What process to follow
- Deal with conflict in the mediation itself
- Handle stalemate situations
- When and how to conclude a mediation meeting
Pre/Post Course Support
Prior to conducting a course your training co-ordinator will have had the opportunity to liaise with one of our lead trainers who will begin to breakdown your companies objectives.
A key part of their process is understanding what led to your decision to improve your team.
We will incorporate all your current training materials to build in effective role plays and discussions suited specifically to your organisational needs.
Before each course delegates will have completed:
- The pre-course questionnaire (Including personal objectives for the session)
After the course each delegate will receive:
- A CPD Accredited Certificate
- A Comprehensive course manual
- Additional resources beneficial to your continued learning
Your organisation will receive:
- Constructive feedback on the delegates progression
- A roadmap for continued learning specifically to your needs
Proposed One-Day Course Agenda
This is a proposed agenda for the course.
Morning – 9.30-1.00 / Afternoon – 2.00-4.00
What is mediation and how can it help to resolve conflict
Delegates will learn how to recognise situations that require a mediation approach and how mediation skills can be used to resolve workplace conflict.
Recognising assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
Delegates will able to recognise passive, aggressive and assertive communication and body language. We will also show how to reduce potential conflict by adopting assertive behaviours.
Managing internal dialogue
Delegates will examine how they are able to manage their internal dialogues to enable them to develop self-confidence when faced with difficult situations. Becoming adept at establishing sound inner dialogue will help you if you feel intimidated by the customers or colleagues; when you have to make an immediate statements or responses; or if you have an ongoing problem to resolve.
Effective communication skills
Delegates will learn how to master the elements of verbal, vocal and visual communication and how to use them to enable you to assertively persuade, influence and control others. As we examine visual and vocal images and how they impact upon communication, delegates can assess their own presentation styles and maximise on their strengths as a presenter.
Preparing for effective mediation
Delegates will learn strategies that will increase their self-confidence and enable them to plan for a successful mediation. Delegates will also learn tips and techniques for assertive delivery; what to say and how to respond to typical situations.
Maintaining control in mediation meeting
Delegates will learn strategies which will enable them to pre-empt conflict within a meeting; quickly assess the situation; verbalise it without confrontation; and manage the meeting effectively.
Dealing with hostile, angry and aggressive people requires different strategies and techniques. Delegates will learn how to handle difficult situations and maintain control in a calm and professional manner.
Handling objections and rejection
The ability to deal with objections and opposing views is an essential skill to master. We will focus on how delegates can control communications so that they are able to deal with all objections calmly and confidently. We will cover; understanding the types of objection; dealing with objections effectively and keeping control.
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Trainer-led facilitation
- Role-playing typical situations (using video or audio feedback, if applicable)
- Group work
- Workbook exercises and activities
- Video scenarios with discussion.
All delegates will receive a workbook that doubles as an excellent post course reference manual.
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.
Unlike most companies, we charge for the hire of the trainer rather than per delegate, this allows you to vary delegate numbers at no extra charge! We normally recommend between 6-12 delegates per course but this can be discussed when commissioning the training course. Our trainers will always try to accommodate your budget.
All course documentation and preparation work is also provided as part of the fee. The only additional charge would be travel expenses (and accommodation if appropriate) for those clients based outside Central London.
Below you are able to view our typical In House Agenda’s for each course, simply click on the links. Please bear in mind that the course’s can be tailored to your needs and you can also collaborate different topics from each course and Build Your Own Course!
If you would like to talk to one of our trainers directly in further depth about your In-Company training requirements, please contact us and this will be arranged. Our number is 0208 269 1177
Live, Virtual Remote Training Courses via Zoom, Teams or Webex
- In-House Full Day – Live, Virtual Remote Course – 1 Day Course – £895 plus VAT
- In-House Full Day – Live, Virtual Remote Course – 2 Day Course – £1790 plus VAT
- In-House Half Day – Live, Virtual Remote Course – £600 plus VAT
Face to Face In-House Training Courses
- In-House Full Day – Face- To-Face Course – 1 Day Course – £1495 plus VAT
- In-House Full Day – Face- To-Face Course – 2 Day Course – £2990 plus VAT
- In-House Half Day – Face- To-Face Course – £895 plus VAT
Other related courses include assertiveness skills, negotiation skills and communication skills for managers. Click here if you need more information regarding Dealing With Difficult People training courses or contact Total Success who will be delighted to talk to you via e-mail.
- Training course manuals – for sale
- Mediators’ Opening Statement
- Good Practice Guidelines For Mediators
- The Stages Of Mediation
- Process Outline For Successful Mediations
- Mediation skills and mediating conflict
- So, what is Mediation?
- When Can You Use Mediation
- Managing Your Triggers
- How Great Can You Mediate?
- Five Basic Methods for Resolving Conflict
- Mediation – Conflict in the Workplace