The course is designed to give delegates many practical tips and techniques and help them get the best out of every performance appraisal.
Course Aims and Objectives
This course deals mainly with the difficulties that arise when we are appraising employees who are substandard in performance, behaviour or attitude. This type of interview needs to be handled well if the manager is to make the best of the performance appraisal. Handled badly and both manager and employee may walk away frustrated and demotivated. Handled well and a highly productive meeting can reinvigorate a poorly performing employee.
Managers will learn how to:
- Deliver feedback to someone who thinks they have performed higher than they have
- Deal with sickness issues effectively
- How to manage very negative or disruptive staff
- Handle confidently issues regarding staff reduction with no reduction in workload
- How to positively communicate with an appraisee who disagrees with feedback
At the end of the course the delegates will develop their own training action plan which they will use as work assignments.
Pre/Post Course Support
Prior to conducting a course your training co-ordinator will have had the opportunity to liaise with one of our lead trainers who will begin to breakdown your companies objectives.
A key part of their process is understanding what led to your decision to improve your team.
We will incorporate all your current training materials to build in effective role plays and discussions suited specifically to your organisational needs.
Before each course delegates will have completed:
- The pre-course questionnaire (Including personal objectives for the session)
- A 5 minute training session that will be delivered during the course.
After the course each delegate will receive:
- A CPD Accredited Certificate
- A Comprehensive course manual
- Additional resources beneficial to your continued learning
- Video analysis and critique (Depending on delegate numbers)
Your organisation will receive:
- Constructive feedback on the delegates progression
- A roadmap for continued learning specifically to your needs
Proposed One-Day Course Agenda
This is a proposed agenda for the course.
Morning – 9.30-1.00 / Afternoon – 2.00-5.30
Introduction/course aims and objectives
- Understanding the appraisal process
- Benefits of constructive appraisals
- Reasons for ineffective appraisals
- The interview structure and essential appraisal preparation
- Setting the scene and relaxing the appraisee
- Reviewing past performance constructively
- How to give negative feedback constructively
- How to discuss difficult issues sensitively
- Appraising the employee with attitude and behavior issues
- Using praise to disarm difficult appraisees
- Setting clear and realistic objectives
- Understanding the power of SMART objectives and effective follow-up
- How to avoid appraisal pitfalls
- Managing inefficiency and poor performance
- Tackling attitude and behaviour issues
- Dealing with non-responsive and aggressive employees
- Handling appraisees who don’t react well to negative criticism
- Giving feedback to appraisees who don’t believe they have any faults
- Handling issues raised regarding performance-pay
- Follow through post appraisal
- Handling the reactions of the difficult conversation
- Follow through and managing the relationship after the meeting
Course close and paperwork
All delegates will complete an action plan that can be used to evaluate the skills learned from the day.
The focus of the training is to develop both managers and supervisors on the challenges they face everyday, maximise on current strengths and develop/share good working practises which may already exist. Each delegate will receive a workbook that contains all course materials and exercises.
Proposed methods of training will include:
- Role-play (using video feedback depending on group size).
- Group discussion.
- Communication role-plays covering:
- Influencing skills
- Reviewing performance and behaviour
- Giving feedback
- Developing problem solving strategies
- Video scenarios with discussion
- Communication skills role-plays
- Action planning
All our in-house training is tailored to your requirements, this is our standard In-House Agenda but bear in mind the course could be tailored to your needs.